Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Why So Serious?

"Serious things demand serious idioms. I heard recently of a church service involving dressing up in costume and music taken from a Tom Cruise movie. Now, if I go for my annual prostate examination, and the doctor comes into the consulting room dressed as Coco the Clown, with “Take My Breath Away” from Top Gun playing in the background, guess what? I’m going to take the doctor out with a left hook, flee the procedure, and probably file a complaint with the appropriate professional body. This is serious business; and if he looks like a twit and acts like a twit, then I can only conclude that he is a twit" (Trueman), 57.

A provocative sample from our reading for Tuesday, April 1. We will discuss topics covered in chapters 6-8. Easy reading so get the most of the interaction by reading ahead.